Newborn photography is so precious. I give special attention to detail that not only shows in my work, but also in how I care for and handle your precious baby.
You may have just had a newborn, and you are probably EXHAUSTED, emotional, sore and head-over-hills in love with your new bundle!
Maybe you are in the last month of your pregnancy, and you are probably EXHAUSTED, emotional, sore and excited to meet this new life that has been growing inside of you for the last 8 or 9 months!
Or MAYBE you just found out that you are expecting! You are probably EXHAUSTED, emotional, nauseous, and possibly a little apprehensive about the upcoming months!
Why must all of this equal exhaustion?!
My job is to make one tiny little aspect of you new baby easier. My passion is to document this short time period where your baby is a newborn. That age when they still fit in the crook of your arm and love to sleep on your chest!
Newborn session package options
Full Newborn Session Fee: $400
Fresh 48 Session Fee: $250
Petite Wrapped Newborn session: $200
Please think of this as your investment, for the most timeless, and beautiful images, of your new bundle of joy.
When choosing your package, you also can choose to have a fully edited and posed session in studio, or a lifestyle session in your home.
A $100 retainer is due to book your session.
Preparing for your session
1. Once we have setup a tentative date for your newborn session (a week or two around your due date). Touch base with me as it gets closer to your due date, so I have an idea of when your baby might actually arrive :) Once you have your baby, contact me to set up the actual session. It is best to photograph your newborn within the first 6 - 15 days of birth so they are still very sleepy, and can be easily posed, baby acne hasn't appeared yet, and their coloring is getting closer to normal. So be sure to contact me as soon as possible to book your session.
2. My newborn sessions usually take 2 hours, but can be anywhere between 2 to 4 hours. Because of this, I typically like to schedule the sessions in the morning. Babies are usually sleepier in the mornings, also. I do not spend the entire time shooting pictures. A lot of time is spent switching props and backdrops, breaks for baby to be fed or diaper changed, and snuggle times for mommy or daddy to soothe baby and get them to fall into a deep sleep. Each pose takes time, because I like to be very hands on with holding them to get them into the pose, and making them feel comfortable once they are laid down in the pose. Also, if baby is fussy or wide awake, this can make the session take longer than normal. Do not worry, just relax and love that precious baby of yours. They will eventually give in and fall asleep. :)
3. I prefer to do your newborn session in my studio, but we can do it in your home if you would prefer. I will not be able to bring all of my setup, so your options will be limited for the posed session, or we can do a 'Lifestyle newborn session'. If you choose to have the session in your home, once I arrive, I will look around and pick the best place to set up. It will have to be a larger space that is well lit with natural lighting. If I have to move anything to set up, don't worry, I will put it all back before I leave. Again, you just relax and snuggle your baby.
4. Your session includes up to four outfit/props changes, depending on your baby. If you have anything that you would like me to use for your session, please let me know ahead of time so I can plan a backdrop/blanket to go with it. Also, please be sure to have anything you would like used during your session ready and available when I arrive. I will also have several outfits/hats/headbands/props for you to look at and choose from. You can see many of them in my newborn gallery (please let me know if there are any specific ones you would like me to use).
5. I will provide everything for your session. This includes, props, blankets, backdrop stand, posing pillow, etc. I like to have options, so you can choose a few of your favorites, and I can add a few of mine :) I will create images for you that fit you and your style and that can be appreciated for a lifetime.
6. Once we have a time set, you will want to make sure the baby is nice and sleepy when you arrive. Feed your baby before you leave, so they will have a nice full tummy for their shoot. Also, to help the baby be sleepy during their session, try to keep them awake for a few hours before their session. Sometimes this can't be helped, but at least you can try. :)
7. I photograph babies completely naked so that I can capture the sweet details for you to treasure even after they've grown. Sometimes, for some outfits and poses, I will leave the diaper on. Your baby will be carefully posed so that no girl or boy parts are seen in your images. Before you leave, please dress your baby in only a diaper and a warm blanket (or a onesie that can be removed without pulling over their head), so we will not distract them so much removing any clothing. Once I am ready, and baby is full and asleep, I will remove their diaper, but keep them wrapped in the blanket so they are ready to start their session.
8. A lot of my poses are setup close to the floor and props are sometimes sitting on the floor, so if mom is still sore from delivery, it is a good idea to have someone else with you for the day that can help with spotting and moving your baby.
9. For any family shots, and/or siblings shots, I recommend wearing simple, neutral color clothing, preferably solids. These are photographed from the waist up for parents and family, sibling shots may include full frame. Dads can wear a solid t-shirt, henley, or button up shirt (light blue, white, grey, or black), their shorts/pants will not be seen, so they can wear something comfortable. Moms, I know it is hard to even try to figure out what size you will wear after baby. I do have some solid maternity gowns that you can borrow in pink, white, and blue, or feel free to wear any shirt or dress from home. Solid, light in color, and no frill or anything that can distract from baby. These will make for perfect portraits of your newborn with loved ones.
When you pull up into my studio at Precious Memories by Michelle, there might be some uncertainty as to what you will see and what will happen during your session! I’ve put together a little list of some of the things you will notice when you come in for your session!
1. You will feel very warm! If we are not sweating, then the room isn’t warm enough!
Your newborn baby doesn’t have the same circulation as a grown adult. It is harder for them to regulate their own temperature. They have just come from a VERY warm environment, and I want them to feel as comfortable as they did in your tummy! It is very common that dad falls asleep before baby does (and I can usually get a baby to fall asleep pretty quickly!) I keep a small space heater near where I will be posing baby to keep it nice and warm for him/her. Don't worry, I also have a small fan for parents if you start to get too warm!
2. You will here a loud "SHHH" sound This helps drown out other noises in the room and keeps baby from waking.
3. My studio is small, but I get the most use out of every bit of it. From the comfy couch, to the relaxing music; I have a break room filled with water bottles, diet cokes, and occasionally a package of cookies (we must have a little sugar to keep our energy up)! There is a waiting room out front, that is great if you need to cool off a little bit! Dads spend a lot of time there usually! I have a second room where I keep all of my props, so you may see me go between both rooms sometimes. I want you to feel at home, so that you can sit and relax while I play with your new little bundle! Truly, it makes my heart happy to turn and see parents relaxed or asleep! It means they are comfortable with me and trust me with their most precious possession in the world!
4. You’ll notice a large blanket covered teepee???
This is where I always start posing your baby! It has layers upon layer of soft, fluffy fabrics so that I can quickly change them out to give a different look to one session!
5. You’ll also notice a fun little spot with multiple blankets, props, and outfits. I may have a nice set up already ready before you even arrive. The key to newborn sessions is (besides heat) fluid transition between one set-up to another. Once baby is asleep, we must work as smoothly and quickly as we can!
If you’ve got a specific style in mind, let me know before and I’ll try to create a set up that will match your ideas!
6. You will see piles and piles and piles of fabrics and wraps and basket stuffers and baskets and……. It’s an addiction I have, but I want each client to feel like they got something a little different than the last client.
8. You’ll notice hand sanitizer! You’ll notice me using it….OFTEN!
If I feel even the slightest bit sick I will call and reschedule the session. I have had my whooping cough shot and keep up to date on my flu shots. I would feel terrible if I were the reason your newborn got sick!
9. I keep many conveniences that you would need for a new baby on hand for you to use!
Wipes, binky wipes, baby lotion, blankets, burp clothes… you name it I have or will get it for you!
The studio also has a bathroom.
10. The last thing you will notice is that right away I will take that adorable little baby and snuggle him or her in my arms and sway a little and bounce a little and maybe even dance a little! I am quite good at soothing and even putting to sleep your little angel! I’ve even been called the baby whisperer! If I can’t get the baby to soothe and sleep, then we will resort to things such as paci or even a feeding to help them soothe. I want you to be able to sit back and relax during the session, babies can feel the mood in the room, and their mood will reflect that. Relaxation is the key for everyone, especially mom! !
There are a few poses that I will ask for a quick hand, other than that, I will take the reigns and lead the session while you watch (and giggle when I get pooped on), and maybe get in the best sleep you’ve had since your baby arrived, and enjoy your session!
After your session